Thursday, February 11, 2010

Advice from the Sea (Personification)

I don't know the sea without you next to me.
I don't know the sand without your hand in my hand.
I don't know the sky without you by my side.
The clouds don't look the same unless they spell out your name.

Summer is coming and I'm afraid the ocean won't recognize me.
She'll open her arms and nod her head and then sweetly to me she'll sing

"Hello! How are you? I'm the Deep Blue Sea!
Come here, my child--you look so lonely.
Come--wade into me. I'll keep you company!"

But when we were "we", she used to sing:

"Hello, you two!
Oh, how I've missed you! You look more in love than ever!
The Moon and all of her waves, they're rooting for you!
Oh you'll make it.
I know you can make it.
Oh you'll make it if you

Share an apple a day and you play outside
and you each kiss your mothers hello and goodbye
and you never forget to kiss each other goodnight

Well...that's how you make it!"

But we didn't make it.
Oh, the tragedy.

I ate my share of apples
I climbed my share of trees
I gave away all my kisses
now my lips are empty
and so are my arms.
and so is the sea.
She doesn't recognize me.

No comments:

Post a Comment